Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I will not.

A little something I have been working on for a friend. The text is taken from a quote by the amazing bell hooks, educational theorist, feminist and anti-racist /social activist. The full quote says, 'I will not have my life narrowed down. I will not bow down to somebody else's whim or to someone else's ignorance.'

Stitching these words over, and over was (at the risk of sounding extremely hippy) actually quite meditative and empowering. I love the defiance and certainty of the statement. I will not have my life narrowed down.

4 comments:

Kristy said...

This is beautiful Becka! I'm sure your friend will love it.

The Little Mama said...

What beautiful fabric. And I love that your writing is recognizable. That's a great quote.

Lili said...

I really really love this.

Tilly Redstone said...

I know I'm a little late with this comment (meh, what's a year or so between friends?), but i LOVE this. I think this is just the inspiration I need for my wall. bell hooks is awesome. I have just been talking about her 'eating the other' in my tutorials this month. I am going to have to try and make one of these for myself. Thanks for the inspiration Becka! xx