Monday, February 11, 2013

Cantebury + Bits & Pieces


We've spent the past 5 days having the best time in Christchurch with some dear friends. One of those days was spent at Castle Hill, and naturally it was so beautiful that my camera thought that would be the best time for the battery to run out (may also have had something to do with my leaving it turned on in my bag...). My iPhone did the trick pretty well though so I'll share a few more photos during the week. It is an incredible place, with massive limestone boulders seemingly having been pushed up from the earth creating these amazing natural statues. As you can see by the colour of that sky, our day there was pretty perfect.

Richard and I are both starting new jobs in the coming weeks, so the timing of this trip (an impulse buy when the seat sale landed in my inbox) was fantastic. It always feels so good to be with people who truly feel like 'your people' and friends that are really more like family. It was quite surreal being in Christchurch for the first time since the earthquake, it was emotional, surprising and inspiring. Every day that we were there we saw beauty in both the Cantebury landscape and the response of the Christchurch people to the massive change in their cityscape. I took many, many photos so forgive me if there's a bit of a theme for the next few blog posts. I'm pretty sure you'll love it, though.

For now, here's a few bits and pieces that I've enjoyed in the past couple weeks.

- The Forgotten 1950's Girl Gang - I loved reading about Teddy Girls in 1950's Britain, a group that I had no idea even existed up until today. The photos are amazing, as is the fusion of Edwardian and American rock 'n roll fashion.

- Helen wrote this great post about time and writing and a bit about grief and it has been stuck in my mind ever since reading it a couple of weeks ago. I really like the way Helen writes, I identified with what she was talking about and felt a bit challenged but without it being a challenge if that makes any sense.

- As a teacher I always love reading about fellow teachers and how they're expanding on the traditional role of the classroom/subject teacher to approach it from a more social standpoint. This list of favourite feminist celebrities from teenage girls made me so happy.

- UGUiSU. I want everything from this store!

- A line of feminist rock 'n roll candy bars is something I could completely get behind. Cinnamon Girl! Yes please. Someone please make the Monkberry Moon Delight bar a reality!

Have you read or seen anything great recently?
blog comments powered by Disqus